Monday 25 May 2015

I've never run a mile before!

On Saturday I was given the chance to run a mile.  A late entry in the BUPA Westminster mile parkrun wave became available and after sorting out the logistics I decided that it seemed like a pretty good way of spending a Sunday while Husbando was working.   I decided to run the night before the 'big day' and so had done no specific training at all.  I had never run a mile race before and had no idea what to expect.


The atmosphere in Green Park was very relaxed, bands were playing, there were yoga classes and no queues for the loos!  I met up with some parkrun friends, met some parkrun royalty for the first time and we made our way to the start on The Mall.

Just three right turns around St James' Park, down the Mall, along Horse Guards' Parade, up Birdcage Walk and then right again to finish in front of the Palace.  Less than 7 minutes later it was all over.  I think I could have pushed harder.  I don't think I have ever pushed really hard but think that a few more mile races might help me realise what it feels like to push myself really hard.

After we'd collected our bags we came back to the finish line to watch some of the other miles - the ex Olympians wave was amazing, and watching David Weir win the wheelchair mile was fantastic.

This was a great event, lovely to run with my parkrun friends.  Definitely something to do again next year.


No comments:

Post a Comment