Saturday 20 August 2011

Hurry up and go slow

I'm not sure what it is about Saturday morning, but I find it incredibly hard to get my arse into gear! Staying in bed for an extra ten minutes seems so much more appealing on a Saturday than any other day of the week. Given that Basingstoke parkrun starts at 9am, getting there on time shouldn't really be too much of a challenge, but it often is. Basingstoke isn't that far away, and it shouldn't take too long to get there, but sometimes it does. The A339 is a twisty road, much loved by motor cyclists with a death wish and tractors. Getting stuck behind a tractor will slow you down as there are only one or two places where you can overtake. Often the road is closed at these points, with an lengthy diversion in place, as a motorcyclist has tried to overtake unsuccessfully. To ensure one gets to the start line for 9am I have to leave by 8.30am. 'People' know this. Specifically 'people' who say that they want to run with me and 'people' who want a lift part of the way to work. 'People' should help lower my blood pressure by not faffing about and making me think I am going to be late. I hate being late. I'd rather be an hour early than 2 minutes late.

Luckily the traffic gods were smiling at me (metaphorically speaking, I no more believe in the traffic gods than any other deity, but can see the advantages that placating a traffic and/or parking god would have) and I made it to the start of the race despite leaving a little later than planned. The weather was warm and sunny (although it is raining as I type) and we all set off for out trot around Basingstoke's War Memorial Park. I'm beginning to think that 5k isn't really my distance. I can't seem to get any faster, and it is somewhat demoralising to say the least. I didn't even check to see what position I finished in this week, so will have to wait for the results.

As I had to go into Festival Place to pick up cinema tickets for Monday evening, I decided to be brave and go along for coffee at Giardino's with the other parkrunners. An open invitation is issued to everyone at the start of the race, but I think it takes a lot of courage (well it does for me anyway) to go along to something like that. Maybe established parkrunners, who regularly partake of coffee (and the best lemon muffins I've had in a long time) should start asking people personally if they want to come along. It was nice to chat, talk about races we're entering etc. with other runners.

As an added bonus, a new Apple store has opened in the shopping centre. They had hundreds of staff in the shop (I don't think I am exagerating) and where making a huge deal of it - cheering every time a customer came in and handing out free t-shirts. I got quite excited in Sports Direct as they had my favourite trainers at a very good price and a lovely colour (purple), but was soon disappointed when they didn't have my size! I'll have to look on the internet later and see if I can find a pair somewhere.

Back home now, and it is raining. I have to deliver the car to the shop and then I'll run home. thankfully it is only 2 miles. That will take my mileage to just over 32 miles this week, not including the 12+ miles I've walked while delivering leaflets.

No comments:

Post a Comment