Saturday 24 August 2024

Biarritz for a day

 Up early this morning, left the hotel before 4am and found myself in a heavingly busy Gatwick airport.  It is bank holiday weekend!  Why did I not realise?  It was all going well until security.  The X-ray machine thingy jammed with my bag inside it.  Only a minor delay - but enough to raise my blood pressure a little.  The flight itself was quick and relatively painless, there was the inevitable post Brexit queue at immigration but, not having any hold baggage to collect, I was out of the airport and on my way before 9am local time.  After dropping my ruck sack off at my hotel I set off to see the sea.

After the empty beaches of Tiree it was a shock to see so many people already on the beach before 10am.  I had more urgent matters in mind though - breakfast!  


Post breakfast I took in all the sights!  Rocher de la Vierge, pretty little streets with interesting shops and restaurants all against the impressive backdrop of the Atlantic Ocean. Plenty of opportunities to practice my French, I must be getting a bit better as only one person answered me in English today.

Having had a larger than average lunch, moules frites, and being somewhat weary I picked up bread, cheese, fruit and yogurt to have for supper in my room before an early night.  

It was a nice surprise to discover, on arriving at the hotel, that I’d paid for my stay in advance.  There was so much going on when I made the booking that I’d totally forgotten!  


No comments:

Post a Comment