Sunday 8 April 2012

Not a happy (Easter) bunny

It is Easter Sunday, the weather is cool and dry if a little overcast.  Perfect running weather.  There are no shops open to distract me.  The children are happily occupied with cramming as much chocolate into their faces as they can.  Husbando is doing 'stuff' at the shop and I am free to do what I want.

Or I would be, if it wasn't for a wee bit of pain in my right leg.  I want to go for a run.  I need to go for a run.  But I can't.  I did parkrun yesterday morning and it hurt.  I've not been 'right' since I fell over three weeks ago, and during the week I'd noticed some niggles in my right thigh, but nothing I couldn't 'run through' or so I thought.  But yesterday was different.  Not only did I get overtaken by a man pushing a three year old in a buggy, my leg hurt like hell all the way around.  I should have stopped, but that doesn't seem to be in my nature.  Not only did I finish (poor time of 24mins 57secs), go back to run with and encourage my youngest son to get a new PB, I also ran 2 miles from shop to home later in the day.

This was not the cleverest thing I have ever done!  I've just terrified myself by reading about hamstring injuries on the internet.  I don't want to think about how long it could take to get better.  I have a half marathon booked at the end of this month that I really want to do, and instead of getting a 12 mile run done today I am in bed with an ice pack.  It hurts to walk, it is more painful to run than to walk and I want to wave a magic wand and make it better now.

As I type this, part of me can't believe how upset I am about not being able to run.  That's the part of me that had to be dragged, kicking and screaming, out of the door when I started running 3 years ago.  The part of me that hated PE at school and who would have sold her soul for a note that said I couldn't do PE for 3 weeks!


No comments:

Post a Comment