Sunday 10 April 2011

I'm back and running!

Hello everyone! Did you miss me?

I've finished my teaching practice, am getting there with the assignments in that I have everything I want written down, I just need to make sure that I have all the right supporting documentation. If not, I may need to get a bit creative. I loved almost every minute of my teaching practice. I am constantly amazed that I am allowed to do such a fantastic job.

Running while on teaching practice has not been easy, as you'll have noticed from my absence here! First it was the dark evening, then it was sick children! I managed to run once during each week and once each weekend. Not enough training for a half marathon, so I reluctantly pulled out of the Bath Half. I do wear the lovely t shirt they sent to all entrants though - it is so nice!

I managed to trip over a plant pot a week before I finished teaching. I landed on my chin, and managed to get an amazing array of bruises all down one side of my body. I ached for days! I wasn't too worried as freedom from the timetable beckoned. This was thwarted when I woke up the day after I finished teaching with absolutely no voice and a throat that felt as though I had been chewing razor blades. This was followed by a cold and sinus infection. I did try to run with blocked sinuses, I managed about 2 miles - and wouldn't recommend it!

In the last couple of days I have started to feel vaguely human again, just as well as the school holidays have started. I am still reliant on a cocktail of antihistamines, pain killers and decongestants, but I am getting there! I ran 3.33 miles on Friday and 3.25 miles today. It was shockingly hard work and I my entry to the Alton 10 in a month is looking doubtful. I don't think I can get to a state where I can run 10 very hilly miles in a respectable time in the remaining 4 weeks! The race is far too local, and the other runners far too serious, for me to want to disgrace myself in it!



2 comments:

  1. You continue to inspire me. I am building back up after a set back and am not at any distance worth typing yet, but I am committed. Keep it up, you will be form in no time. X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I don't think anyone ever said I had inspired them to do anything until I took up running! Now several people have said the same thing, and the truth is that all I am is an enthusiastic amateur.

    ReplyDelete