Monday 4 October 2010

It isn't going well!

On days like today I have to remind myself that I do love running! I may have finished the course of antibiotics with only the mild side effect of constant nausea but without succumbing to thrush, but I am not 100% better yet! Admittedly I only sound like I have a 20 a day habit now, rather than the 40 a day habit of a week ago, but things really aren't working as well as they should be.

This wouldn't be a problem if I wasn't due to run The Great South Run on 24th October. I've done two 10 mile races this year without adequate training, and was hoping that the third time would be the exception. I have less than three weeks, well two if I am to taper properly, to get myself race fit. So far it is not looking good.

On Saturday I ran two miles. It was the first time I had run since Paris to Versailles. The route was flat and although I ran it in under 17 minutes it was not a good run by any means! I had to will myself to lift my legs, my chest was screaming at me, this was a case of mind over matter to get me home.

I didn't run yesterday, instead I went out to lunch with Stephen at Côte Brasserie in Farnham, where we decided that sharing the foie gras as a starter was a diet option. It was the first time we had been there, and would recommend it. It would have been lovely to sit outside, but the rain was bucketing down.

This morning I pulled on my running shoes and headed out again. I wanted to run up Brockham Hill and back, but just could not do it! I got halfway up the hill and thought I might die, or be sick, or both. At this point, for once, I took the sensible option and decided to run back down the hill, so my planned 4 mile run was actually only 2.5 miles!

I think I am going to have to plan some nice, flat runs for the next week. Maybe throw in a bit of speed work on the treadmill at the gym (I hate speed work and I hate treadmills so that should be fun), and not think about hills until next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment