Thursday 5 September 2024

Camino day 11: A rest day in Burgos

Yesterday, after posting my blog, I was overwhelmed by the messages of support!  I was also on a mission to make sure that I could carry on.  I’d bought a bag of ice cubes from a supermarket as I’d passed it.  Picked up Ibuprofen tablets and gel from a pharmacy and had a ‘phone call from Stuart, at Hands On To Health, who has been keeping my body in working condition for quite some time now.  We talked through what was happening, he asked me when, specifically, it hurt most (apparently ‘all the fucking time’ is not a valid answer) and what I’d done so far.  He suggested a series of stretches and getting some kenesiology tape.  I couldn’t imagine being able to walk pain free at the point, but was willing to give it a try.  He sent me videos of how to apply the tape once I’d got my hands on some.


Getting my hands on tape meant a trip to Decathlon (after visits to two city centre sports shops yielded no results).  I hailed a taxi and off I went, it was quite a novelty to be in a car! At Decathlon I bought tape (pink and blue, pre cut and rolls, hopefully enough to last a lifetime), I remembered that I needed a replacement for my dodgy head torch and also picked up a bag to put my kit in so that it can be shipped to my next stop every day.  I’d been using one of my dry sacks, but that limited what I could send ahead.  I popped over to the mega supermarket and bought some coffee capsules for the coffee machine in my room  and then went to find a taxi back.  Hmm, there were no taxis.  I’d missed the last bus,  And Uber doesn’t seem to be an option.  Walking it had to be,  Grr!  A much needed evening with my feet up watching TV with a beer, my knitting and my foot up followed!

This morning I ignored my alarm and slept until 7am, then lazed in bed doing my Duolingo and drinking coffee until 8.30am.  I then strapped up my leg, got dressed and set out for find breakfast.  I’d been told to order fartons from Pannus - so that’s what I did!  Then a gentle stroll to the Museum of Human Evolution which was fascinating, before lunch with a view of the Cathedral and then back to my room for siesta time.


What a difference 24 hours makes!  This time yesterday I was convinced that I would be booking travel home today, now I can walk almost pain free!  I always thought kenesiology tape was a gimmick - but it seems to be doing the trick and I am a lot happier, and hopeful that I will be able to carry on.

I’ve bumped into lots of other pilgrims while in Burgos.  The Camino Telegraph has been working overtime, most of the time the first thing they have said is ‘I heard you were injured!  Are you OK?’  The rest day means that people I haven’t seen for a couple of days have arrived at this stage.  As I sat catching up with Tim and Evelyn, last seen in Torres Del Rio, Tim pointed out that, when we discussed reasons for doing the Camino, I’d said that I wanted to slow down.  And that I’d not slowed down, but now my body was forcing me to do so!  I protested that I had slowed down, I was walking not running!  He gave me what can only be described as a Paddington Bear Stare.  


I think this must be the first time that my body hasn’t done what I want it to do.  So far it has done marathons, ultras, treks up Kilimanjaro, weeks away with cadets and all sorts of nonsense without giving up.  It has been a bit of a shock.  It took HOURS to complete the last couple of kilometres - well maybe not hours but nearly 20 minutes per kilometre - and it HURT a lot!  I’m going to take it a little easier - hence the siesta time!  Will paint my toe nails, go out for a quick supper and then another early night.

No comments:

Post a Comment