Sunday 1 September 2024

Camino Day 7 - thank goodness for strangers

 Last night I had possibly the worst night of sleep ever.  The albergue was nice, but if your dorm mates come in at 11pm and then start to sort their kit out there is no way you are going to get any sleep.  I woke up, got ready to leave feeling as though I could quite happily go back to bed for another few hours.  I knew the first stage of this day would be long, 16.8lm to the next village, so I had packed some snacks.  I just didn’t realise how exhausting I would find it.  I was really struggling.  Yawning my head off, pace slowing down, second guessing all of the life choices that had lead to this point.  My head torch continues to play up  and my foot was sore.  I was absolutely saved by bumping into Terry, Scott and Molly from Washington State and Oregon.   I spent the rest of the walk chatting and talking with them about the various Caminos that they have done.  Suddenly walking was fun again.  The miles ticked by, we had breakfast in Najera and carried on until we parted company at Cirenua, they had started at a village off the main Camino and were carrying on to Santo Domingo.  

We were still walking through wine country today.  Lots of vineyards in deep red clay soil.  Quite a hilly day too.  I am glad that I got to walk with people today, it certainly made the time pass much faster.  

Tonight I am staying in Albergue Victoria - it had to be done!  I have lucked out - I paid for a bunk bed, but the owner has given me a normal bed in a little annex to the main dorm.  I am going to have a snooze this afternoon prior to the communal dinner this evening, 















No comments:

Post a Comment